Mar 20, 2013

Castlevania (Review)

 Devil's Castle Dracula

Simon Belmont's Journal 

1st of May. 1987, NES Plateau -- I enter the rusty garden gates, and bless my sole weapon - a leathery whip - inside the candelabra. I sense that my family heirloom will serve me well; as there's evil lurking about tonight. I can feel that the perils ahead shall test my nerves, patience and memory.

Out of the mist materializes Castle Dracula: Seeing its foreboding shape, makes me realize why the Castlevania linage has retained its well established occult following within these lands. And why the charmingly dark and challenging Castle Dracula, has become the place of many ventures since its inception.  But I questions my resolve...

I stand ready
The graphical decals of the castle are imaginative and, at the same time, ghastly. There are many cleverly placed, and well camouflaged foes: bats, flying Medusa heads, merman, ghouls, ghosts, ravens, flea-men, and metal knights. I have noticed they often reside in large and open areas, and are always ready to push me into numerous pitfalls: these life ending chasm that stand between me and the bloodthirsty guardians of the six main areas of the castle. 

After all, what's evil incarnate without its nightly inhabitants?

2nd of May. Today, I have found several critter-slaying tools within the depths of this forsaken house of death. I have called those tools sub-weapons, and they have become salvation for my damned soul: throwing knifes, boomerang-crosses, holly water and axes. Dear reader, you must always be on the lookout for these vampire-banishing tools which will aid you in the minion-filled sections ahead. To my surprise, I also found a chicken - it was a little dry tho...


purenintendo.com
I have climbed many stairs, crossed hundreds of spooky rooms, and vanquished foe after foe. Yet, I fear the nightly terrors will never yield. My soul is growing weaker, and my legs are weary from all the jumping and striking. Strangely, my resolve has never been more affirmed. It's as if making that first jump: you have to know in advance where you're going to land, even though you may not like where you end up. Once airborne, your soul cannot waiver. That is what holds true in the NES Plateau.   

3rd of May. The end is near. I can hear the mystifying sonata of His Draconian will. He who drains all life to live. The Dragoon of Darkness: endless baiting new and old vampire hunters alike. Alas! I must move forward and get to the depths of  this occult subject. My blood is the lightning! My swift strikes will banish all evil from these console lands!

I will destroy Castle Dracula and its reoccurring damnation. 

This I promise,
Simon B 
 

Developer: Konami 
Publisher: Konami 
Platform: Nes 
Released: 1987 
                                                       Genre: Action-adventure



No comments :

Post a Comment

Gab Digitally: Gab Often